Monday, February 1, 2010

Rocks at the Sea

Rocks at the Sea

I stand on the water’s edge
Throwing stones at God
This one for pain,
This one for sorrow
That one for shame
Exhausted I drop to my knees
And cry out Your name
How can I hate Your creation
And love You just the same
One stone for desire
One for loneliness, one for tears,
One stone for passion’s fire
One for hopelessness, one for fears
Hating You for letting me choose
A freedom that I would not be willing to lose.

Yet despite my insolence and pride
Even as I hurl rocks at You, You stand at my side
One hand on my back, one to dry my tears
All the while willing with one word to calm my fears
To make still the waters where ripples I have caused
Ready to give me rest, to whisper in my ear, if I should pause,
Words of love, peace, grace, truth, words to comfort me
You wait patiently until I’m done railing at the sea
You wrap Your arms around me and kiss my cheek
Then your wings carry me home for my anger made me weak
When I awaken to the dawn of Your smiling face
The sea fills my eyes as I wonder at Your endless grace
You sit there, smiling, a rock in Your hand for me
“My child, I always love you, let’s go throw rocks at the sea”

No comments:

Post a Comment